daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
Taken - Erin Bowman So Taken actually made it onto two of my Top Ten Tuesday lists and I was so wanting to love this book! I didn't end up loving it, but it was pretty interesting.

I love dystopians and I love reading from a male point of view every once in a while, it's nice to switch things up a bit. So Taken started off pretty good for me. I liked seeing Claysoot through Gray's eyes and I really liked how curious he was and that he was smart enough to figure it all out. But if he'd been a sheep we probably wouldn't have had a book centered around him ;)
I never fully connected to Gray and I never felt like I really knew him. Maybe it's because of this that I wasn't fully invested in his story.

I actually liked Bree a whole lot better, though I didn't get a clear reading on her either. I'd love to know more of her background and what life was like for her before she met Gray. There are all these hidden depths in this story that stay hidden, unfortunately. I loved the bond between Gray and Blaine, even though it's just the two of them since their mother died, they are a family and I like that.

It's hard to talk about the plot without giving too much away, but well, let's say I wasn't all that surprised when I found out what was behind the Heist. It's a really interesting concept, but I feel like it's been done before. There were some other twists and turns that took me by surprise a bit, in a good way, so that sorta made up for it. There's some creepy stuff going on that I'm sure we'll learn more about in the sequel!

So I haven't told you about the romance part yet. And maybe that is because it didn't really work for me so much. Gray is pretty much an ass when it comes to girls and I was kinda wondering what either girl saw in him. The love triangle really annoyed me, mostly at the end though when Gray was being a major douche and I just wanted to hit him. Ugh, boys!

Anyway, I sound kinda negative, though I did enjoy this book, it's actionpacked and I read it in no time at all. There were just some things that bugged me and I thought the plot could have been developed a bit more. From the hints of it, I guess there's some serious worldbuilding behind Taken and I really hope Erin Bowman shows us all she's thought up in the next book, cause I'd like a little more background and exploring of this world.

My rating: 3,5 stars