daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
Mystify (Mystyx, #2) - Artist Arthur I'm having a giveaway for this one on my blog, open till February 7th. Click here to enter.

In the previous book you had Krystal as the MC. Admittedly, she was a bit of a whiny brat at first, but she redeemed herself in the end in my opinion and I could sympathize with her. I thought it was interesting that they discovered their powers and was looking forward to knowing more about them and seeing them developing said powers.

In this one, we focus on Sasha, who seems somewhat clueless. Her parents are forcing her to team up with a girl she doesn't like at all for something that's not that important and she doesn't know how to say no, even though she is completely against it. She doesn't know how to really stand up for herself to them and is slowly realizing that not making up your mind can be a decision as well. And that it does have consequences. Like Krystal, she redeems herself and becomes a stronger character because of it.

One thing I noticed in both books: these kids have some seriously messed up parents! I already had issues with Krystal's mom and dad, but Sasha's are equally strange. Makes me feel even more grateful for the family I have myself. I mean, it's pretty harsh for your parents to force you into a friendship with someone you absolutely do not like because they want to get ahead in business. Her dad especially is not a warm, cuddly sort of person. In the town, there's a lot of focus on social status based on where you live and how much money you make and Sasha's parents are among the elitists. Their viewpoints make me sad and angry, it reflects such ignorance!

There is a lot of teen angst in the book and the Darkness is not to be ignored. There's actual evil laughter involved and this time it's actively trying to mess up their lives. I won't give away what happens, but this thing/person/power (I really want to find out what it is exactly) is seriously disturbed and needs to be beaten!

I enjoyed learning more about their powers and where they came from. And Sasha's powers expand in a very logical way, which I liked. There's not a really great amount of action in the book, it feels as a build-up towards the real thing that's bound to come in the next book (fingers crossed!).
And I just have to say I'm still rooting for Jake (this will make sense if you've read the book). He seems like a really great guy.

My rating: 3,5 stars