daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
The Taming of the Rake - Kasey Michaels I don't think the summary really does justice to the content of the book. And neither does the title. You see, the opportunity for revenge doesn't fall in Beau's lap, Chelsea puts herself in it, begging him to marry her so as to escape the man her brother wants her to marry and give Beau his revenge in return. And Beau doesn't really take her into a world of intrigue and danger, what really happens is that they elope, trying to get married before Chelsea's brother catches up with them. Oh, and Beau isn't really a rake actually. I haven't heard mention of another woman than Chelsea's sister 8 years ago...

But, regardless of the wrongness of the title and summary, this book was enjoyable. Chelsea is a smart woman who knows exactly what she wants and isn't afraid to employ sometimes less than respectable means to get it. And more power to her for it! Beau was a likeable character as well, though I didn't think he was as swoonworthy as some of his colleagues I've met in other books. I did love Puck, Beau's brother, he was such a right youngest brother, creating mischief and generally being in the way!

These characters were pretty well developed and I liked that there wasn't insta-love but something that grew, sure it only took a couple of days, but still. There was growth.

I did have issues with the secondary characters, namely Chelsea's brother and sister. They seemed stupid and petty and just cruel for no good reason. And that was really annoying! I know there had to be a villain, but still, I like well-developed villains.
I also missed the tension, there was some, but it could have been taken a lot further and made me cry and now it just didn't. I did like the banter between Chelsea and Beau and thought they were kind of perfect for each other, but there could have been just a bit more stumbling blocks on the road for me.

All in all, this was an enjoyable read, but not amazing.
My rating: 3,5 stars