daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
This is Not Forgiveness - Celia Rees This book is REALLY dark. And after finishing it I had the urge to start another, happier book immediately, cause that dark feeling is really intense.

The first chapter of This Is Not Forgiveness is haunting, it's actually something that takes place after all the events in the book and you get an enormous sense of foreboding after reading it.
Sadly, the rest of the novel didn't quite live up to what drew me in about that first chapter. I was expecting to get sucked into the lives of these characters, but it never really happened for me.

Not really all that much actually happens in This Is Not Forgiveness. Or at least not for a huge part of the book, and then at the end everything happens at once and I was going 'wait, WHAT?' and then I was reading the last chapter. I never felt like I got to know that characters and their motivations well enough, it all stayed pretty much on the surface and I felt some things could have been explained a bit further.

The main character Jamie is probably a good guy deep down, but because we don't really delve into his personality and I didn't really get to know him, I wasn't rooting for him. And Caro and Rob definitely didn't endear themselves to me with their actions, so I was left not really caring about any of the characters in This Is Not Forgiveness.

What happened in this book wasn't what I had expected when I started reading it and I like being surprised by books. It's definitely a darker read than my usual thing, but I was pretty ok with that. I did feel that the ending was rushed though.

My rating: 2,5 stars