daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
Stolen Away - Alyxandra Harvey I haven't had the best experiences with books about the fae in the past. I'm probably one of the only ones who didn't enjoy Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (yes, I know). But when I saw the summary of this book, I thought it sounded incredibly interesting and definitely like something I would enjoy, so I decided to read it and just see what would happen.

And I did like the story itself! The concept was really interesting and the whole intrigue and all the politics are amazing. BUT. (Sadly, there's a 'but')

While I did like the storyline as in the overall concept of Stolen Away, the execution didn't really work for me. It felt rushed and even though it switched POV between the two main characters Jo and Eloise, I never felt like we got to know them beyond some basic character traits. Also: there's some serious insta-love going on and that's just not my thing.

I LOVED the idea of paranormal creatures appearing a certain way because humans thought they should look like that and it actually altering their appearance. SO GOOD! I also really liked the whole complicated mess that is Eldric surrounding the capture of Eloise. And I liked Lucas, but he's the good guys, so that's basically a given ;)

There were however a lot of things that felt to me like they were only half explained in the rush to get to the end and I would have liked a little more backstory. Stolen Away was an ok read for me, but I think that it could have been so much more!

My rating: 2 stars