daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
Almost a Scandal - Elizabeth Essex Guys, if I can tell you one thing about my reading habits, it's that I love a good crossdressing. Even though sometimes it's just ridiculous that not everyone sees through the dirt/hat/whatever sort of cover up. I don't know many women who could pass for a man.
That said, I LOVE IT! And in a romance novel it usually creates wonderful tension and excitement and OMG! WHEN WILL I BE DISCOVERED moments.

So I was all kinds of excited when I read the summary for Almost A Scandal. And then I started reading. And waited for the good stuff. And waited. And then waited some more. I'm sad to say it never really got to the point where I got excited about the story itself or the writing.

Sally is a nice enough heroine and I liked that she was really knowledgeable about everything midshipmen should be knowledgeable about. I know diddly-squat about this, but I respect a girl who actually applies herself to learning everything there is to know about what she in her heart of hearts wants to do. And with her having spent so much time on her father's ship, it seemed logical that she'd have the required skills. I did think that she was a bit too perfect, she was liked by EVERYBODY, even those who did not like her at first. It was just a little hard to believe at times.

I liked David, but I never really fell for him like I wanted to. He was a little too rigid and the last couple of chapters put me off a bit. I was really angry at him for things I shall not mention in lieu (why yes, I do know some fancy words) of spoiling certain happenings.

David discovers pretty quickly that Sally is in fact a girl without a real OH NO! moment for Sally and I was disappointed by this. I love the big discovery moments! For me this also diminished the tension between the two. I don't know how else to put it, but the romance was missing that little oomph that makes me feel all the things.

As a first in the series, I got a bit overwhelmed by all the family members in the later chapters as they seemed to make sort of random appearances. I wasn't really feeling the romance and without that driving me on, it read rather slow and was too much historical and not enough romance. Which is fine, but not what I was expecting from it.

My rating: 2 stars