daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
Pleasures of a Tempted Lady (Donovan Sisters, #3) - Jennifer Haymore I really liked the second book in this series, Secrets of an Accidental Duchess, so when I saw the sequel about the mysterious Meg I didn't know how fast I had to click that request button. I'm sad to say this one didn't live up to my expectations.

I REALLY wanted to like Pleasures of a Tempted Lady, and while it was ok, it wasn't nearly as good as Secrets of an Accidental Duchess was. In theory it had all the right ingredients: ships, pirates (sort of), a dashing hero, SECRETS and there was actually something at stake. Looking back, I think the stumbling block for me was the heroine.

You see, Meg was kind of bland. I never really got what was so special about her, except that she was really pretty. After reading the whole book I still don't know how to define her personality, she was just not memorable to me. Which is what made me not fully believe that this wonderful man would still be pining for her after 8 years.
At times I just wanted to shake her, because she was having some too-stupid-to-live moments. I mean, seriously, OF COURSE it's a good idea to go off on your own as a woman when there's an evil, powerful man chasing you and leave every protection behind... GAH!

Will is a good guy. Granted, he did make a mistake way back when, but well, it's been almost 8 years and he's been punishing himself for it ever since, so I can forgive him for it. I could root for him. I just wished he had chosen a different kind of woman to fall in love with.

There's also a side story with the youngest Donovan sister mixed in, which felt a little unnecessary and hastily done to me. These two could have easily had their own novel or novella and it would have been better I think.

I did like Pleasures of a Tempted Lady, but after reading the second book in the series I'd come to expect something a little more exciting. I was also kind of sad Olivia didn't make more of an appearance, because all the other sisters were frequently present.

My rating: 2,5 stars