daisydebruin

Tigana
Guy Gavriel Kay
For Darkness Shows the Stars
Diana Peterfreund
The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa I should listen to friends who tell me certain authors are awesome. I really should. I'm not really a fan of the fey, which is why I never read Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series, but The Immortal Rules has convinced me that maybe I should give them a shot after all, because this book is AWESOME!

I've become somewhat wary of vampire novels, because really, there are some bad eggs out there. But I'm very happy to say I very much enjoyed this twist on the genre! Julie Kagawa brings us back to what I remember of vampires from when I was a kid: the good old going up in flames when touched by the sun, needing blood to survive, inhuman strength and speed, being feared. YES! But other than the mindless vampires I remember from those scary stories I read way back when, Julie Kagawa gives us something to relate to. And I liked it.

I cannot tell you enough how much I loved Allison! Seriously, she is just such a kickass character! She's kickass before she becomes a vampire, being a true survivor and a loyal friend. But after she literally kicks ass and gah, I just loved it! I love that for once it's the girl turning into a paranormal being and actually NOT losing her mind because of it! She's the same girl, with a slightly different diet and a couple of handicaps along with all the superstrength and all.

And seriously, can I just say that the rabids CREEPED ME OUT! I freaking hate zombies, they wig me out big time! It's why I won't touch zombie books in general, but because I loved The Immortal Rules so much, I'll forgive Julie Kagawa for giving me nightmares (I'm not even kidding, I woke up screaming one night after reading The Immortal Rules because I was convinced something was trying to eat me...).

I'm not entirely convinced by the romance though. I mean, Zeke is a nice guy, and I'm usually all for the nice guys, but he was just a little too saintly, you know? He had a little too much worship going on for his adoptive father, and I have very strong feelings of dislike towards Jeb! Seriously, that guy got on my nerves! I don't know, it leaned a little too much towards preachy than I'm comfortable with I guess.
I was really hoping to see some action between Allie and Kanin though, because SWOON! I need more Kanin! Kanin is awesome and mysterious and manly and just *sigh*! So yeah, I'm actually hoping for a love triangle to develop for once (I cannot believe I just said that...).

But mostly, the writing was simply amazing! The Immortal Rules is a big book and while because of being extremely busy it took me a good while to read it, the story never dragged. I was thoroughly entertained and wanted to just keep reading and kept shaking my fist at my busy schedule.
There's so much about this book to love, I don't even know where to start, except to say that I'm so happy I picked it up and I'm reading The Eternity Cure SOON!

My rating: 5 stars